Looking for a statement Easter cake? Maybe you weren’t, but let this bunny cake topper change your mind. I mean, it’s even got its own little flower crown. It would be great for a themed birthday cake too and can easily be adapted to be a little fox or cat. Maybe I’ll need do that next.
Bunny Cake Topper with Flower Crown
What you need:
Cake of your choice
White and pink felt
Hot glue gun
Small pieces of fabric in your choice of colours for the flower crown (stiffer fabrics are better as they hold their shape)
What to do:
Bunny Cake Topper – Ears
- Print and trace the template onto your felt. Cut 4 pieces from the white felt and two ear inners from the pink felt.
- Using the hot glue gun, glue the kebab stick to one of the pieces of white felt. The kebab stick should run down the centre of the ear, leaving just a few cm at the top of the ear without any stick.
- Glue a second white felt over the kebab stick, to cover it.
- Glue on the pink ear inners.
- Repeat for the second ear.
- Cut three small circles the same size for each flower. (For thinner fabrics, use four circles to add body)
- Fold each circle in half.
- Place a few dots of hot glue on the top and fold the half circle in half again. The glue will keep the circle in a folded triangle (see pictures above)
- Hold your three folded circles together to form a triangle, folded edge next to open edge of next one. (Again, difficult to explain, see picture above 🙂 )
- Drop some hot glue into the centre of all three.
- Stick a toothpick up from the bottom, through the centre.
- Support the flower with extra hot glue around the base. This won’t be visible once it’s in the cake.
- Repeat for the rest of your flowers.
- Arrange them on your cake.
Play around with colour schemes and fabrics of the flower crowns to get the look you want. If you’d like to add a little more detail to the cake, you can give it some eyes with a food colouring marker, royal icing or melted chocolate.
I’ve said before how I really like cake stands, and would have a whole set if I had the space. Well, let me tell you, the exact same thing would happen with bell jars. And seriously, how amazing is this enormous glass bell jar from the Consol Shop? While Consol is known for there innovative jars and bottles, they also stock a wide variety of other amazing glassware. Anyone have some good storage ideas for me so that I can go shopping? 🙂
I’d love to see your Pure Sweet Joy DIYs. Show me on Instagram using #puresweetjoyblog or email me at deborah [at] puresweetjoy [dot] co.za. Like what you see here? Follow along on Facebook or Bloglovin or subscribe to the newsletter for exclusive access to the latest news and freebies.